Micromax has been trying to make a comeback for the last several months and needed to make a solid statement – one that could turn heads and utterly wipe out all the negative sentiment that’s been lately associated with the once dominant domestic brand in order to help hit the escape velocity. And the Canvas Infinity that brings in a fancy 18:9 display panel to the entry-level segment definitely seems to be a step in the right direction.
Micromax quite candidly presented the new Canvas Infinity but LG Q6, the other affordable phone with an 18:9 display, was the veritable elephant in the room. We spent some time with the new Micromax phone gauging what works and what doesn’t. Let’s sum up our Micromax Canvas Infinity first impression after the specs break.
Micromax Infinity Specifications: Everything You Need To Know
|Model||Micromax Canvas Infinity|
|Display||5.7-inch HD+ display, Gorilla Glass|
|Processor||1.4GHz quad-core Snapdragon 425 Chipset|
|Internal Storage||32GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 128GB dedicated microSD|
|Software||Android 7.0 (Nougat), Android 8.0 Oreo update guaranteed|
|Primary Camera||13MP rear camera with LED Flash|
|Secondary Camera||16MP front-facing camera|
|Others||4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, OTG support|
Micromax Canvas Infinity Design and Build
- The 18:9 display is the newfound delicacy that’s best served bezel-less; And Micromax Complies.
- With 83 percent screen to body ratio, Infinity looks stunningly unique on the front, especially for an under 10,000 INR phone.
- The Phone is also light, quite compact (for a 5.77-inch phone) and easy to wield with one hand.
- Navigation buttons are present on the display
- The back cover and battery are removable (Read easy battery replacement)
- Micromax isn’t skimping on slot either. You get 2 SIM card slots, and one microSD card slot.
- The phone feels solid and durable, Micromax also bundles a protective case and screen protector in the box.
What doesn’t work
- From the rear, it looks like most other customary metal unibody phones with a flimsy metal plate interposed between plastic top and sides.
- The speaker grill is present on the rear, which is far from ideal
Micromax Canvas Infinity Display Quality
- The display is reasonably well calibrated and, quality-wise, is a good enough display in this budget.
- Why would you need an 18:9 display? Well, for better video viewing, more immersive gaming, to fit more on your screen while browsing and for better split screen multitasking – explains the company. And we tend to agree on all points.
- We tried the apps present on the phone and YouTube – all scale well to the tall display.
What doesn’t work
- The display resolution is HD+, which is noticeably low for a 5.7-inch display phone. But we suspect most generic users won’t notice much of a difference.
- Viewing angles aren’t very wide.
Micromax Canvas Infinity Software
- The software on the phone is based on Android Nougat, and Micromax has promised Android O upgrade
- Extensive gesture support is present on the phone. You can draw letters on the display to open apps, enable double tap to wake or sleep, and more on Canvas Infinity.
- Utilitarian features like One hand mode and other customization options are present as well.
- You can swipe down to search through all your apps.
What doesn’t work
- To access quick settings, you have to pull down the notification shade and then swipe to the right (Kind of how it used to be on MIUI 7 and below), something that feels archaic in 2017.
- There is no app drawer (but a simple third party launcher could fix this).
Micromax Canvas Infinity Performance Expectations
- The Micromax Canvas Infinity is powered by a 1.4GHz quad-core Snapdragon 425 processor paired with 32GB of storage and 3GB of RAM.
- Out of 32GB, 22GB is available at the user end. You can also add microSD storage up to 128GB.
- The chipset isn’t very powerful, but it has to fuel an HD+ resolution display and should be up for the task. The octa-core Snapdragon 430 would have been more convincing.
- We didn’t notice any interface lag in initial time with the Micromax Canvas Infinity.
We will have to test the phone further to give a final verdict on performance
Micromax Canvas Infinity Camera and Battery
- Micromax is using a 16MP front and 13MP rear camera on the handset.
- The camera app is loaded with features like Bokeh mode for front camera, Picture preview roll, Time lapse, and more.
- The battery capacity is 2900mAh and Micromax bundles a 5V/1.5A charger with the phone
- Fast charging is not supported on Micromax Canvas Infinity.
We will have to test the phone in our own space to estimate camera quality and battery backup of the handset.
Micromax Canvas Infinity price, availability, and after sales service
Micromax Canvas Infinity will be available from Amazon.in starting September 1 for 9,999 INR. You will have to register on Amazon to participate in the sale.
Micromax is also offering one-day service guarantee for the phone via Micromax Express service centers. They will either repair your phone within 24 hours or replace it.
Launch day offers include:
- 250 back as Amazon Pay balance
- Up to 30GB additional Jio data free
- 5 Kindle Bestsellers worth 375 free
Micromax Canvas Infinity first Impression
Micromax Canvas Infinity is one of the best looking phones under 10,000 INR, thanks to the swanky 18:9 display panel with minimal bezels on all sides. Micromax isn’t missing on stuff that’s popular with the masses either, like the promise of Android 8.0 Oreo update, a detailed selfie shooter, and fingerprint sensor.
The LG Q6 has a better and sharper 18:9 display, but it also costs significantly more, and shouldn’t be a threat to Canvas Infinity.
We will have to hold our verdict till we gain more experience with the phone and experience the fine prints, but for now, things look good for the domestic manufacturer.