A lot has been reported about Reliance Jio till date, and if you still have unanswered questions, the following post should help.
What phones will support Reliance Jio SIM Cards?
- All phones with 4G VoLTE support will run Jio SIM cards just fine.
- This includes all Lyf, Earth and Water branded Phones and most recently launched handsets. Many manufacturers like Lenovo are also adding VoLTE via OTA Update
- You can also visit Smartprix.com and use the VoLTE Filter in the sidebar to check all VoLTE enabled handsets.
- If your Phone supports only 4G LTE and is missing VoLTE support, you can still use Reliance Jio data. You can also make calls across all networks using Jio Join App, but data used for making these calls will be counted against your data pack.
How do I get a Jio SIM?
Just visit any Reliance Digital or Xpress Mini store nearby with a valid ID proof, Address proof and a passport sized photograph.
Over the last week, SIM cards have been mostly out of stock. At least at the few stores that we have tried. You can still check any store near your location using the Official Store Locator Page or you can use the Store Locator in MyJio App.
Are Reliance Jio Plans cheap?
Now, Jio isn’t mercilessly undercutting existing players, but yes, you are getting a pretty sweet deal here.
Let’s first take a look at Reliance Jio Plans:
As you can see in the image above, Tariffs start at 149 Base plan and stretch all the way up to 4,999 INR
- You won’t have to pay a dime for Voice calls even when you are roaming out of your circle
- None of these Plans is as ‘Unlimited’ as the Jio Preview offer that many of you must have experienced before September 5, 2016
- Night time unlimited data can be availed between 2AM and 5AM
- Jionet Hotspot Data will be accessible at public places sometime later next year. So for now, data against Jionet Hotspot is irrelevant.
- Jio data plans are cheaper than what other Telecom players are offering, but are still not as cost effective as regular WiFi plans. JioFiberNet will challenge them next year.
- Validity of pre-paid plans is 28 days, Validity of similar postpaid plans is 1 month
- Three plans are exclusive to Prepaid users – Rs.19/ 1 day, Rs. 129/ 1 Week, anTd Rs. 299/ 21 days
- Some Top Up vouchers are also available for pre-paid users without validity restriction.
- Unless you rarely use your phone, you are better off without them.
- You can also port your existing number to Reliance Jio using the regular process.
What happens when a consumer consumes all data entitled in a selected plan?
- Users can then opt for add-on plans as listed below.
- Add on plans are almost same for both prepaid and postpaid users.
- Additional audio conference and video conference add-on packs are also available for postpaid users
But none of that matters for the next 4 months. From 5th September to 31st December, All Jio Users will be using the Jio Welcome Plan.
What’s Jio Welcome Plan?
Jio Welcome Plan is what ALL users will be using till the end of this year.
- All users get 4GB Data per day. Post which, speed will be reduced to 128Kbps
- National Voice calls will remain free
- Jio apps will also remain free during the offer period
Also read: Asus Zenfone 3 Camera Review: A Reliable Eye
What about ISD Calls?
- 499 Rental plan and above offer discounted rates in 61 select countries
- Free ISD minutes are also bundled in a few plans as listed in the first plan chart
- For more ISD Minutes you can use ISD Combo back that costs 501. Postpaid users will get a talk time of 501 in the combo pack, while Pre-paid users will get Talk time of 435.65 valid for 38 days.
- After opting for the combo back discounted tariffs will apply for 61 select countries.